It is always a good time to replenish your hair with water, but it is not always the right time to use treatment masks on your hair. You see, it is possible to over-treat your hair; too much protein can make your hair hard and make it easier to break. To keep your curls healthy and happy, follow the rules of thumb provided to you in this blog. If your hair feels damaged and looks frizzy or broken, you should use a protein treatment such as Deep Sea Repair. I wouldn’t suggest using treatments like this any more than once a week, and be sure to rinse it out after the maximum of 20 minutes it suggests. If your hair feels just a little dry, and needs a little more moisture than your regular conditioner provides, try turning to Heaven in Hair. This product is a deep conditioner but can also be used as a mask, so it is safe to use more frequently. It is also gentle enough that you can leave some in during your rinsing process, prior to styling your hair. If your hair is feeling extremely dry and/or is tangling easily, try using the product Melt into Moisture. This product is a conditioning treatment mask that can be used once a week and can be left on for different amount of times, depending on the dryness of your hair. Melt into Moisture can be left in for 3 minutes, a quick boost, up to sleeping through the night with it in your hair. Just make sure to rinse the product out thoroughly when you are finished and then style hair as usual.
So, wait, are you wondering what the difference is between a treatment mask and a deep conditioning mask? Let me help, the difference between the two treatments depends on the brand you are using. With DevaCurls, the difference for us is the strength of the product; Deep Sea Repair and Melt into Moisture are powerhouses and the ingredients are stronger and deliver a more intense result than a deep conditioner.
Now that you know the rules of thumb and the difference between treatment options, let’s walk through a few scenarios and help decide which product is best to use.
- If you’re spending countless hours in the ocean or pool, your hair is becoming dehydrated by salt water and chlorine; meaning, your hair needs hydration. In this scenario, the product Melt into Moisture will be a great fit.
- If you live in or are going to visit a dry climate, your hair is going to be dry, try Melt into Moisture.
- If you’re overusing heat tools, your hair is likely to be damaged and extremely dry. This would be a good time to try a multi-mask; you can mix Deep Sea Repair and Melt into Moisture. Do this by mixing the two products in your hands and then apply to your hair, leave this on for 20 minutes and be sure to rinse out thoroughly after.
- If you’re bleaching your hair, using a high lift color, or doing another chemical process, your hair is most likely going to be frizzy, fried, and damaged. Depending on the depth of the dryness, you can use Deep Sea Repair exclusively, or try a multi-mask.
- If you’re dying your hair and using a low lift color, your hair will be dry and you should try using Melt into Moisture
- If your hair was over processed, it is also damaged and dehydrated – time to multi-mask.
- If you’re about to get a blowout, and you’re waiting and waiting to wash your hair, you need to bring the moisture back with the Melt into Moisture treatment.
- If you’re about to get braids in your hair, or are removing them, you should use a multi-mask. Your hair was or will be pulled and stretched and because it hasn’t been/won’t be conditioned as much, it needs moisture. Mix Deep Sea Repair and Melt into Moisture for the most effective results.
- If you’re abandoning your hairbrush for finger detangling, turn to Deep Sea Repair. Detangling with a brush can be super harsh on your hair, and can cause breakage. Help restore your curls with a strengthening treatment.
If even after using these products on your hair, you are still worried about re-hydrating and you are looking for something extra, finish with the product Heaven in Hair. With this product, you apply it to your wet hair and let it sit. Once you are finished using the treatment, thoroughly rinse it out and then style your hair as you wish. It is important to take care of your hair and maintain your curls by keeping your hair hydrated, and these products from DevaCurls can help!